Target Your Niche & Get Rich, or Target ‘All Folks’ & Go BROKE!

That’s a pretty close paraphrase of what Internet marketing expert Stephen Pierce said about the necessity of targeting a specific niche market in order to be successful, rather than not targeting anybody in particular and ending up doing fairly or even poorly (because your message or what you have to offer is too vague, broad or general).

Which means, if you can provide specific, that is to say, highly specialized information, to your targeted market, that’s always better for you and your clients.  It’s what they’re looking for.  It’s what, given all the right factors and reasons, they’re willing to pay for.   Especially, if it is information that shows them how to do something.

Case in point: Bob Bly (whom I consider the dean of copywriting and online content marketing!) has written a fabulous new book called, How to Write & Sell Simple Information for Fun and Profit. I’m working my way through this OUTSTANDING and practical little tome–only finished the first chapter so far–and already, I’m finding boatloads of precious NUGGETS of marketing wisdom in its pages.

One of these nuggets, which Bob attributes to fellow online content marketing expert Fred Gleeck says that, in order to be successful and considered an expert in your field (or market niche), “you only need to know more than 90 % of the people out there. Don’t worry about the other 10 %, they’re not your market anyway.” (emphasis mine)

In other words, you don’t need to know EVERYTHING there is to know about your particular field or specialty.  You only need to know more than what 90% of the general population knows about it!

Did you hear that? This is INCREDIBLY good news for those of us who thought we simply did not “qualify” or have the credentials to be experts–let alone specialists–in our field or market niche.

So, be of good cheer, those of you who know more about a particular subject, area of study or specialty, than 90 % of the people out there. You do indeed qualify to be LEADERS and “experts” in your niche of the marketplace (the niche you’ve chosen).  And that’s why you should be targeting your niche audience with your unique message of highly specialized, useful (and therefore valuable) information!

More on this in my next post.

Copyright © 2010, Paul J. Ramirez. All rights reserved.

Advertisements

About Paul Ramirez

I'm a husband and father and businessman who promotes and practices free-market, Bible-based principles to help others achieve success.
This entry was posted in Marketing. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s